Tim's Chat implementation

• Hi

I am new to this chat script. I don't know much about it. Can you tell me if it can be implemented into a XenForo community as the official chat room, and whether the members can log into it directly, with their member accounts, without having to type a username to enter the chat room?

Also, does it support private chats between members? And kicking and banning from the chat by moderators? Can chat moderators be set up from the admin panel?

How much does the script cost and who can install it for me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

Tim’s Chat is a plugin for the WCF (WoltLab Community Framework, it’s the base for WoltLab’s (and other’s) products).
    Therefore it requires the installation of the mentioned framework (which would host a completely new community ;) ) and won’t be able to run on the XenForo forum software.

Just for your information:
    Tim’s Chat is free for non commercial use, it supports private conversations, users can be banned (kicking isn’t implemented at the moment but can be simulated with timed bans) and the user groups and user group options can (and must) be configured in the ACP (admin control panel).

• Thank you for your answers. Sorry to see that this chat doesn't work with any other forum script other than Burning Board. :( Is there any way I could hire Tim or another developer to adapt the chat room for IPB or XenForo?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Thank you for your answers. Sorry to see that this chat doesn't work with any other forum script other than Burning Board. :( Is there any way I could hire Tim or another developer to adapt the chat room for IPB or XenForo?

Thanks for your confidence in my work! Unfortunatly I am not able to adapt the chat to any other forum software. There are two main reasons for this: a) I don't even own a license of IPB or XenForo and therefore I don't know how to write extensions for these softwares b) I make heavy use of WoltLab Community Framework. While I could port the basic chat features after extensive studying of IPB's or XenForo's code / docs I still would not be able to write "Tim's Chat". It would be a chat by Tim, but it would differ.

• Thank you for your answers. Sorry to see that this chat doesn't work with any other forum script other than Burning Board. :( Is there any way I could hire Tim or another developer to adapt the chat room for IPB or XenForo?

Maybe you could consider changing your forum software to Woltlab Burning Board ;)
    The importers would be ready to transform all the required data von IPB and XenForo.

http://www.woltlab.com/index.php/Demo/

Maybe its worth checking out the demo

• Maybe you could consider changing your forum software to Woltlab Burning Board ;)
    The importers would be ready to transform all the required data von IPB and XenForo.

I have no idea how to do the conversion by myself, and the WoltLab team charges a whole lot of money just to have someone install the script on your server. I don't think they even offer conversion services.

Can you link me to some forums (except this one) that use Tim's Chat? :|

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

I have no idea how to do the conversion by myself

It is pretty self explanatory. Install Burning Board, head to the importing section in your administrators control panel, punch in the information of your old forum and check the data to import. The rest of the process is automated.

Can you link me to some forums (except this one) that use Tim's Chat?

Note that the chat is only available after registering in these forums:

Tim’s Chat is also used in several smaller communities, but I don't know whether they would like this form of public advertisment, therefore I omitted them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Will that version be released in April, when Burning Board 4 is released?

No. Tim’s Chat 4 is currently in an early phase. Tim’s Chat 3.1 will be released with Burning Board 4.1 and ship some new features: https://tims.bastelstu.be/forum/index.php/Board/5-Suggestions/?labelIDs[6]=22

• Hi

Thanks for your confidence in my work! Unfortunatly I am not able to adapt the chat to any other forum software. There are two main reasons for this: a) I don't even own a license of IPB or XenForo and therefore I don't know how to write extensions for these softwares b) I make heavy use of WoltLab Community Framework. While I could port the basic chat features after extensive studying of IPB's or XenForo's code / docs I still would not be able to write "Tim's Chat". It would be a chat by Tim, but it would differ.

Would you allow other programmers to adapt your chat script for other forum software? Is your script free and open source?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Would you allow other programmers to adapt your chat script for other forum software? Is your script free and open source?

Tim’s Chat is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA with exception for the images and the name. Therefore another programmer is allowed to adapt the script for another forum software. But he may not call it Tim’s Chat, he must state that his chat is based on Tim’s Chat (in the distributed files), he may not sell or otherwise monetize his chat (and the users may not either) and he must release the chat under the same license.